Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Yes, we are being screwed by Labour.

A funny thing happened when browsing through my RSS feeds today. I stumbled across the most recent release of the Tax Outturn Data. I had no idea what it was and was about to delete it when I saw that this data summarised the amount of tax that the government received every month. Since it was lunchtime, I thought I would humour myself and see if anything interesting could be found.

Sure enough, they had a spreadsheet that summarised tax takes on a monthly basis from 1990 through to April 2005. This prompted me do do a little cutting, pasting and formularising, and this it what I found.

I coloured the monthly takes by the Government that was in power at the time. I then calculated a 3 month trailing moving average to smooth it out somewhat - and it brought out the seasonality too.

Frankly, I don't think the graph needs too much explanation. It shows that the current Labour-led Government is milking us dry - as evidenced by the significant monthly tax receipts presented here. I have not adjusted these for inflation as I must get back to work.

Cullen needs to have a tennis ball stuffed in his mouth, have his hands taped to his calculator, and Benson-Pope should stuff this graph where the sun doesn't shine. I imagine it would feel similar to what the rest of us are getting from Labour...

3 Comments:

Blogger Antarctic Lemur said...

Nice work.

That's an incredible amount of our money, and where exactly has it all gone?

5/31/2005 02:56:00 PM  
Blogger ZenTiger said...

Well spotted.

I've been hunting around to get historical to current data on expenditure as a percentage of GDP.

If you come across any good sources I'd appreciate the pointer (or you could blog it... :-P )

6/01/2005 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger Bernard Woolley said...

Here is some Reserve Bank GDP data in 95/96 dollar terms. It would probably take a little massaging to compare to Govt expenditure - naming working current expenditure back to 95/96 terms. I may try that tomorrow evening - have a full day at work tomorrow.

6/02/2005 12:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home