Saturday, July 09, 2005

Buzz The Marketeers

I don't know about you, but phone marketeers and surveyers piss me off. It riles me when they almost expect it is their right to be able to ask you a few questions. Rather than hang up immediately, for a year or so now, I ask them what is in it for me. They usually say you get to go in to a draw for a prize, and I reply I want a guaranteed reward for my time. Unsuprisingly, they won't offer that, so I decline and hang up. Turns out I can't have been the only one.

I received some spam in the past couple of days from an outfit called BuzzThePeople.

Help shape your future PLUS have the chance to win!

Buzz.ThePeople is a new online way for you to have your say on lots of different topics. Many people are joining Buzz.ThePeople because they want their views considered by NZ decision makers (e.g. political pollsters, the media, marketers and market researchers). Others are joining because there are going to be great prizes and even opportunities to earn cash.

Interesting, so political pollsters, the media, marketeers and market researchers consider themselves NZ decision makers? Pu-lease.

To me, it sounds like enough people like myself have turned phone polling into a dead-end for the usual suspects mentioned above. They finally have realised this. I quote from their website: -

This type of research is getting more and more difficult. Lots of us have answering phones, lots of us use our mobiles more than landlines, lots of us are very busy and just don’t have time to take calls and answer 40 minutes of questions (as many of you will know).

Fortunately for our clients, the number of us who are regularly using emails and the Internet has grown very quickly. Many of us now prefer to talk to people online at a time that suits us.

Poor little sods. I have no sympathy with them whatever. Just because they have come up with a new means of surveying the populace, does not mean I'm going to help out. The website reeks of marketing-speak, so I thought I'd have a brief rant to draw attention to this site - and recommend avoidance if thats how you feel about being surveyed.

On a related note, I wonder if this shift in approach may explain why Labour has been caught off guard with the change in public sentiment - it may explain why Helen Clark's ugly mug is the first picture to appear on the web page. Its a pity they couldn't put the Bush and monkey pics next to each other though :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home